2.09.2013

cinnamon raisin stuffed french toast - YES.



so i made this awesome stuffed french toast that was super easy, with random stuff i had in my kitchen. i adapted a recipe i found online. it was so bad (for me) (but at least i got some protein... ya?), but SO DELICIOUS.

ingredients ||
cream cheese, softened (i used whipped and recipe called for 4 oz but i eyeballed it)
honey
ground cinnamon
2+ eggs. (i used 3 eggs for amos and i's sandwich. it was a little extra)
some milk
butter for skillet
slices of raisin cinnamon bread - i used sprouted ezekiel raison cinnamon bread and it was yummmy
fresh fruit to make it look awesome
maple syrup to sweeten it

vanilla extract and nutmeg optional
fruit for inside sandwich, optional, but would be AMAZING

1 || In a small bowl, mix together the cream cheese, honey (depending on how sweet you want it. recipe called for sugar, but i thought this was a slightly better solution), and lots of cinnamon - maybe a teaspoon? I don't know, but whatever I put in - I could have used a little more. Mix until thoroughly combined. Spread the cream cheese mixture onto 4 slices of raisin bread (or however many you are serving). Top each spread slice with another slice of raisin bread to make 4 sandwhiches.

2 || In a shallow bowl, beat the eggs with milk and some cinnamon. Again - I don't know an exact amount. Maybe a teaspoon. I also added a splash of vanilla extract and a dash of nutmeg. Dip each sandwich into egg mixtures on both sides. You know, like french toast. :)

3 || Grease a skillet with butter, and place over medium heat. Brown the sandwiches in the skillet for about 2 minutes per side. I also poured the extra egg mixture on top because I need protein being big and pregnant and all.

Variations:
Next time I want to try sliced peaches, apples, bananas or pears between the sandwiches. I served with a little bit of maple syrup, but I don't think it's necessary. I also topped it with fresh fruit.


PS would love a vote from you today! just takes 2 clicks - and everyday counts. :)


2 comments:

  1. I just bought that sprouted bread. Do you keep yours in the freezer? It was frozen when I bought it but I'm wondering if I just pop it in the toaster?! I'm obviously new to this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep it frozen if I'm not ready to open it or if I know I won't eat it fast enough - but generally, I keep my sprouted breads in the refrigerator. They seem to last a super long time in there. (2 weeks+?)

      Delete

id love to hear from you!